Finding the best type of used car to buy can be a big challenge for most people. Other than the car names of the models you usually see, you might not know that much about cars.
You decide on a classic car … a Ford Mustang. A beast of a car.
So, what do you now? Do your research? Or, buy any old car that comes your way that seems OK? Do your research obviously.
As a driver who needs a great machine, there are a few things you need to look out for. One of them being the type of transmission. A transmission is a machine. It is basically, the name given to the mechanism of the gearbox. It uses speed and torque conversions that make a car move.
You should decide to go further and learn more on the various transmissions, e.g., the MT 82 Transmission.
MT 82 Transmission was Remanufactured in 2011-2014 Ford Mustang 5.0L Getrag MT-82 6 Speed Transmission.
This transmission was the first ever to make use a remote shifter design.
Features of the MT82
- It has a transmission capable of 405 Ft. Lbs. of Torque at 500 HP Flywheel.
- The case is ribbed cast aluminum with an integral bellhousing.
- It has a heavier clutch feel. It has an independent rear suspension. Also has upgraded rear axle metallurgy. The improved 8.8 has the strength of a 9.75″ differential.
- It has an output yoke with a fixed design. The input shaft is made of an oddball 23-spline.
- It has six forward gears. The reverse and the shifter is a remote mount design.
- Gear ratios for the MT82 are as follows:
1st – 3.66
2nd – 2.43
3rd – 1.69
4th – 1.32
5th – 1.00
6th – 0.65
Pros of MT82
- It has a firm shifter bushing and bracket
- It also has a more accurate shift.
Cons (on older models … so many problems)
- The MT-82 Mustang transmission has shifting issues for two main reasons:
- a) The remote shifter design- One way of coping with this problem is by switching to performance-oriented shifter or support bracket eliminates this hindrance.
- b) The clutch cable-Then there’s the hard shifting and weird feel of the clutch,
- The screws backing out
- You may experience hard shifting, missed shifts, screws backing out,
- The MT82 gearbox is said to have unsatisfactory performance.
- Heavy use of causes the MT82 transmission to eventually wear out.
- It still has some notchiness, especially on cold mornings. But once it warms up, the problem subsides.
Applications of MT82
The MT82 can be found behind:
- 2011-2014 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V V8 TiVct
- 2012-2013 Mustang Boss 302 5.0L 4V V8 TiVct
- 2015-2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V V8 TiVct
There was a point in time where the MT82 was so flawed that the National Road Safety Administration looked into this flawed hero. Things got so bad, that they opened an investigation.
Despite all the struggles it has undergone, the MT-82 has made a lot of improvement. Though there is still the shifting problem, a lot of development is still underway. But generally, the transmission is stable when upgraded.
With work still in progress, the MT82 is set to improve. If the car you decide to buy is a classic (hence it has an older transmission), then head on over to High Gear. They are a professional unit that can upgrade the MT82 into a high-performance beast.