Windshield repair and replacement are not cheap. This is why it is very important that you know how to take care of it to prevent damage. The windshield comes with the most important uses and if you think this is not important, then you are wrong. Not taking care of your windshield is a common mistake of new car owners which you should avoid. If this is your first time to have a vehicle and you do not know how to care for your windshield, then click here because you have come to the right place.
Why Windshield Is Very Important?
The windshield is one of the most important safety features in your car. It can help in the event of an accident by preventing the driver and the passenger from being ejected from the car. It also provides support for your car’s airbags. If for example your vehicle is involved in an accident and it rolls over, your windshield can protect your vehicle’s roof and prevent it from collapsing.
How To Keep Your Windshield In Top Shape
If you make sure that your windshield is in great condition, it ensures you that you receive its benefits when it comes to the vehicle’s safety features. To guide you, here are some tips that you can do to avoid your windshield from breaking and to keep it in excellent condition at all times:
- Avoid Using Harsh Chemicals. When cleaning your windshield, avoid using harsh chemicals. You can use vinegar or a glass or windshield cleaner. Never use ammonia-based cleaners because they can easily damage your windshield. Other than that, its fumes are dangerous for you.
- Close Your Door Gently. If you love the sound of slamming car doors, stop it. The vibration that it causes can have a negative effect on your windshield. It loosens the windshield over time and can cause cracks in the future.
- Park In Shaded Areas. If you need to park your car outside, make sure that you place it in a shaded area on or a parking garage. This will keep the temperatures at a safe level especially during the summer or winter months when the temperatures can go extreme. Warm up or cool off your car slowly because the heat or the air conditioning can cause stress on your windshield.
- Leave Windows Open A Bit. If you feel that the temperatures are too hot, leave your window cracked a bit. This will let some air in the car to prevent all the stress be on your windshield. When the car is under extreme weather for too long, heat will build and can cause cracks on your windshield. If you already have a chip on your windshield, it may get worse during these weather conditions.
- Get Chips Fixed ASAP! If in any case, you get a rock chip caused by tiny stones or other road debris, make sure that you have it repaired as soon as possible. If you fail to do so, it can cause more damage. Remember that a simple rock chip is cheaper than a crack which can happen if you wait longer.
The tips mentioned above are easy to understand and remember, but somehow, they are the ones that are usually forgotten. These simple steps can help increase the longevity and the quality of your windshield. So never take them for granted.